Saturday, April 6, 2013

REVIEW: Misfit by Jon Skovron

Misfit
by Jon Skovron
Hardcover, 362 p. 

Synopsis
Jael Thompson has never really fit in. She’s changed schools too many times to count. The only family she’s ever known is her father, a bitter ex-priest who never lets her date and insists she attend the strictest Catholic school in Seattle. And her mother—well, she was a five thousand year old demon. That doesn’t exactly help.
But on her sixteenth birthday, her father gives her a present that brings about some unexpected changes. Some of the changes, like strange and wonderful powers and the cute skater boy with a knack for science, are awesome. But others, like the homicidal demon seeking revenge on her family? Not so much.
Steeped in mythology, this is an epic tale of a heroine who balances old world with new, science with magic, and the terrifying depths of the underworld with the ordinary halls of high school.

My Review
I had mixed feelings on this book.  Even after I finished it, I felt really...meh.



The plot sounded good.  I mean, how many succubuses do you see wandering around in YA fiction nowadays?  The whole dynamic of the half-demon in Catholic school seemed to me pretty decent.  And since Holly Black and Carrie Ryan applauded this book, I figured I should give it a try.

And now, 362 pages later, I still don't know what to think.  I'm not fangirling, and I'm not shipping anybody, or cooing over an adorable scene.  I really wanted to love this book, but for now, it's just...meh.

..I should probably start off with the good stuff.

I really did love how the author jumped around in some of the more obscure mythologies, such as the Phoenician god(esses), as well as different aspects of Biblical history, the oft-used Greeks, and also...zombies.  From Haiti.  And the Catholic/demoness heritage, with all its flashacks, was enough to fill at least a small novella, but was really sweet as well.

And then there was the bad.

Skovron has wonderful potential as a writer.  His style is a little different, as the story is given in present-tense (ex. says, watches instead of said, watched), but this also allows for some beautiful quotes.  However, for all that it's worth, the pacing is terrible.  In the standard learn-your-powers-now part, it only really takes up a chapter: 12 pages worth.  It's practically like a tutorial.  Look at me controlling water.  *omglookssocool* Here's how to control water.  Yep, you're doing it really, really well!  Now let's move on. *insert long description of fire's awesomeness* ETC. And she doesn't have any problems after that or ANYTHING.  As a long-time reader of books about finding  your own powers and whatnot, this just feels like the biggest let-down.  Not only to mention that she can CONTROL ALL FOUR ELEMENTS.  PLUS SUPER-VISION.  That's practically just a way to cut down on plot and problems!  It would be way interesting-er if she had had more problems with the whole thing.  After all, she's only half demon.  Diluted blood usually means that the person has a little bit of a harder time with stuff that pure blooded demons/angels/vampires/etc. can do!  And that ultimately makes for a better story.

Well, I dunno...I like more complicated plots than this.  It really did read more of an RPG than an actual book.  :(

My Rating
Well, although I do appreciate the multi-myth universe and the stuff about her origin, the over-powered nature of her demon heritage and the flat plotline just gave it up for me.  Maybe better for others than me.

2 1/2 out of 5 stars

Signature FontsHappy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment