Wednesday, November 13, 2013

ARC REVIEW: Outcast by Adrienne Kress


Outcast
by Adrienne Kress
ebook, 283 p.

Synopsis

After six years of “angels” coming out of the sky and taking people from her town, 16-year-old Riley Carver has just about had it living with the constant fear. When one decides to terrorize her in her own backyard, it’s the final straw. She takes her mother’s shotgun and shoots the thing. So it’s dead. Or … not? In place of the creature she shot, is a guy. A really hot guy. A really hot alive and breathing guy. Oh, and he’s totally naked.

Not sure what to do, she drags his unconscious body to the tool shed and ties him up. After all, he’s an angel and they have tricks. When he regains consciousness she’s all set to interrogate him about why the angels come to her town, and how to get back her best friend (and almost boyfriend) Chris, who was taken the year before. But it turns out the naked guy in her shed is just as confused about everything as she is. 

He thinks it’s 1956.

Set in the deep south, OUTCAST is a story of love, trust, and coming of age. It’s also a story about the supernatural, a girl with a strange sense of humor who’s got wicked aim, a greaser from the 50’s, and an army of misfits coming together for one purpose: To kick some serious angel ass.

COPY PROVIDED BY NETGALLEY IN EXCHANGE FOR A FAIR REVIEW
My Review
I though this was a really cute book.  I was a bit weirded out by the beginning, because it was talking about creepy kidnappers and stuff, but I really liked it anyways.  It's hard to find an "angel" book that isn't about creepy stalkers, but I think that Kress really did subvert that particular trope in an amusing way.


I did love Riley and Chris, though.  They're the cutest couple, and I was so happy, watching them fall in love over the course of the year they had together.  Their back-and-forth was very well done, and I was DYING INSIDE when they got together.  Chris seems like a real person with self-doubts from, y'know, being sent about 50 years into the future.  Which is nice.

Not only that, they actually give a nod to the whole time-travel complications, and you find out some interesting things.

Also, the stereotypical blonde cheerleader actually turned out to have a heart, and although at the beginning you're all like I HATE YOUUUUU, later, you just start caring about her because she has all these internal doubts and stuff and I just want to hug the stuffings out of her and tell her it's alright, because she honestly is a great person.  Just peer pressure and all that jazz.

I didn't like the infodump about the specificities of the angels and stuff near the end, though.  I had trouble following it, and all it did was introduce more vocab that I was struggling to understand.  So...yeah.

My Rating

The "angel" stereotype is predominated by stalker-like swoon-worthy impossibles, but I didn't really find any glaze-eyed boys in this book. True, the end was a bit rushed, and yeah, Chris was still sort of the hot guy, but the way that their relationship actually developed (gasp!) made me want to stand on a chair and cheer them on. So in the end, I'll rate this one a...


4 out of 5 stars
~Claire
Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment